Tonight I finally learned the importance of upholding your family name. That concept has always bothered me a bit, why should what *I* do matter? Who cares about the name of the family, it should be about individual people! But now I realize how much went into ME. I wouldn't be here without the parent's whose name I carry, or without my grandparents who also reside in me.
My grandfather's memorial service was held in the La Habra LDS building where all his prodigy attended. We enjoyed stories about papa and watched a slide show. In it were many photos of him, but also a live interview that had me laughing at what a character he is. I was overcome with love for him and gratitude that I have been blessed to be his descendant. He was a strong man in the gospel and taught his children to love The Lord. He raised five children on his own, all of whom remained faithful followers of Christ. So far each of his grandsons have served full time missions (9 down, 4 to go). I am amazed at what one person has left behind and I am so proud to be his granddaughter. The love I feel for him and my entire family inspires me to live in a way that would uphold our name and allow others to know what a great man I come from. I hope to teach my children this deep love and pride for family so that they, in turn, will be proud of their names.

No comments:
Post a Comment