10.07.2013

LDS General Conference October 2013: Images

This post is going to be quick because it's purpose is simply to put a few images into the online world. But before I do I better explain a couple things. First, General Conference is a broadcast that takes place every six months where leaders from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints address any and everyone who wants to listen. Second, the speakers are not given a topic, rather they are encouraged to search their hearts and follow whatever impressions they feel would most benefit the audience. And finally, I look forward to this time of year because I always learn something new. I am always inspired, and more determined to improve myself. You can watch, listen or read any of the talks from this past session, or any previous session. Below are some images I made based on talks from the conference.

The above image is a verse from the poem 'Good Timber' by Douglas Malloch which our Prophet Thomas S. Monson quoted in his talk.

I loved how Dallin H. Oaks inspired me to stand up for my beliefs with confidence.

Todd D. Christopherson spoke about women in a talk I highly recommend for all. The above image was inspired by a part of his talk where he was quoting Margaret D. Nadauld.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes sense that a man in a misogynîstic patriarchal religion would tell women that if they aren't following a male god's rules then they are unappealing in your particular society. Entrenchment in the gender binary and perpetuation of the idea that women have to be "opposite" of the masculine ideal is why violence against women continues in the modern world. You are not helping any of your fellow humans by posting this. All you are doing is making the world worse for someone else.

Cassidy said...

You were probably led to this blog post the same way I was, through a feminist pin on Pinterest. First of all, I am really glad you are fighting for gender equality and women's rights. We need more people like you.
I consider myself a feminist and I also belong to the Mormon church. That sentence alone causes many fellow feminists to sneer at my association with a patriarchal religion. And it causes my fellow Mormons to sneer at my association with an organization that dislikes religion. I used to feel like I had to chose between the two beliefs until I discovered how well they ideals could coexist!
This picture in particular most definitely looks like it is teaching women to be submissive and likes you said, "opposite" of the masculine. It really does look that way, but if you follow the links put at the bottom of the picture the message changes. The quote by Margaret Nadauld discusses the difference between women "of the world" (jargon in our culture which doesn't mean every other person besides a mormon) in a more uplifting talk.
Another thing I think is important is that these qualities are taught to and expected of men in our religion as well. Margaret Nadauld was the leader of the Relief Society (an all women's organization) so of course she only focused her talk on women. But there are many other talks and even scriptures that say men should have these exact qualities as well. In a talk by Ezra Taft Benson, male priesthood holders are expected to have faith, virtue knowledge, temperance, patience, kindness, humility, charity and diligence. And in Doctrine and Covenants 121 they should be long suffering, gentle, kind, love unfeigned, reproving of self, virtuous, charitable, and meek.
Although the American culture as well as many Christian religions expect women to be submissive and men to be aggressive, our religion does not ultimately teach gender binary. We expect both men and women to be tender and kind and good and virtuous and faithful and pure and refined.
There are things about our mormon culture that I do believe can be altered in order to benefit women and people everywhere. (In fact I have written letters and personally addressed them with teachers and leaders in my religion, and they are the occurrences are more rare than people outside of our religion might think). And perhaps we can still improve in this aspect, though ultimately, I think this aspect of Mormon religion and culture is quite equal.
And thanks to the third wave of feminism and people like you our American culture and our Mormon culture are becoming more educated and equal for all. Which I think is great!

kara said...

Closetdj69, if anyone would have asked me 7-8 years ago what I thought about this topic, I would have agreed with you 100%. I was completely against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and I harbored great animosity against it's teachings. Over those 7 years, and many life changes, I have come to embrace what I once hated, and as Cassie says, I learned that if I dug down just a little, many of my previous beliefs could coexist with Mormonism. That being said, I am glad you shared your thoughts, and I am not trying to sway you at all. I am just grateful that each of us can openly and respectfully share our beliefs. And hopefully we can learn and grow from each other in the best way possible, by always looking for the good.

Cassie, I appreciate you taking the time to write out many of the thoughts running through my mind that I was not able to verbalize.

When I posted these images (and pretty much everything else on this blog) I had no idea if anyone would ever see it. I have to admit, I'm slightly nervous for where this could go, because I know it is a topic with many strong viewpoints. But as long as everyone remembers to speak with respect for their fellow human beings/commenters, we will be good!