10.27.2009

Time for an update

Our little girl is getting better each day and we are looking forward to taking her home on Friday. She was born with pneumonia, but luckily it wasn't too severe. She has been on high flow oxygen, not a ventilator (that's a good thing). The saddest part for me has been knowing how many times the nurses have had to poke her for an IV. Hers kept going bad every 12 hours and they would have to poke a couple times to redo it. She's had them in her hands, feet and head. There is something called a picc line that they tried at least three times. The illustration below explains it better than I can.It is good because once they get it in place they don't have to poke her again. Unfortunately none of the picc line attempts were successful. I know for sure they tried to do one in her arm, like the picture and also one in her head that threads down her neck. I hated hearing about them doing that stuff to her! Finally today they doctor did what's called a UV where they put a tube into her umbilical cord hole and thread it to her heart. This sorta worked, but they only got the tube to go in 4cm so she can't be moved around or else it could come out. SAD, we can't hold her anymore until Thursday.
Good news is her oxygen flow has been coming down. She has also been keeping down the milk that I've been pumping for her. That means they can decrease her IV fluids and increase the milk. The other happy thing is that she's been very pleasant throughout this whole thing and that gives me a lot of peace.
I'll add some more pictures soon.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I have never heard of a baby being born with pneumonia. It's always hard to not get to snuggle and hold your new baby. I'm sorry. I hope that she recovers quickly and you can make up for lost time. Also, you are truly a mother when you hurt at the thought of your child hurting. My comfort has always been that they won't remember any of it, but now that Weston's almost 4 I don't think I get to use that one anymore.

Amanda said...

Thats what I had when I was born and I was in the hospital for about a week. I think my mom could tell you more about it since she can remember it... :) I'm glad to hear things are getting better for her. I can't wait to meet the new addition to the family! Oh, and i LOVE her name too. SO cute!

Natasha said...

She's a doll! I loved the video you guys posted on facebook. It's so amazing to me what little babies can indure. They are so strong and resilient. I'm glad you get to bring her home soon!